I am currently doing a research project on the topic of Short Flags for my class. I wish to understand it better and also to gather information on how to make the world of short flags better. An example would be creating an official website! I spoke with Jen and she has given me permission to do so.
As you guys know there is not much information or publication out there about the short flags world other than what's on Wikipedia, Urban Dictionary, and this blog site. There's not even any information on how short flags started or where it originated from! Therefore I would like to ask the community these few questions:
1. What do you know about the history of short flags? (how it started, where it started, anything!)
2. What do you know about your school's history of short flags? And how would you describe your school's short flags style? (please state the school)
3. What do you think about short flags?
4. Why do you think the number of schools that have short flags are declining? Or if you think it's rising, why do you think so?
5. What do you think about the exclusivity of the short flags world? In example:
-not sharing any videos until competition season is officially over (even after regionals)
-not sharing any tips or tutorials on youtube
-expressive dislike for unestablished schools who attempt to mimic moves from established schools
-expressive dislike for schools who try something new (new music style, a more peppy twirling style, etc.)
6. Do you think this exclusivity factors into the decline of short flags? What do you think can be done about the decline?
7. Do you think short flags could be something even bigger and create more job opportunities in the field if it was more publicly known? For example:
-a separate division from cheerleading
-garnering sponsors to support financially
-all stars/more collegiate level of teams
-maybe even an olympic sport (before you think becoming an olympic sport is impossible, lets remind ourselves that rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized swimming, and figure skating are olympic sports!)
8. If you could have a career in short flags, would you? (please state your reason)
9. Would you be interested in helping to publicize short flags?
10. What has short flags done to/for your life? (positive or negative)
Any information that you guys have would be highly appreciated and will help me create the future website! And anyone can answer, you don't have to be current or past short flags team member to answer. Coaches, parents, siblings, mix makers, or anyone who is/was involved in the short flags world are welcome to give their opinions! You don't have to answer all the questions if you do not wish to do so, answering just some would be great, but it would be super awesome if you could answer all of them :) The website is in the research stage and will hopefully be published in Summer!
Thank you in advance!